In science class we have tested different bottle shapes, sizes and the amount of water that they are filled with. According to the observations that I have taken the best amount of water to put in a bottle is 1/4 to 1/3 full. The best possible bottle size is about 2L. These "rockets" did not yet have fins on them. I think that when the fins are put on the rockets will be able to maintain stability for a longer period of time.
I agree with the amount of water being anywhere between 1/4-1/3 full. I looked on a website and it showed a video on basic rocket construction. In the third part of the video it explained how you can attach a second bottle and make it heavier using rubberband balls, washers, basically anything. The hope is that the weight will help the rocket go further. If you'd like to check out the video its http://tclauset.org/21_BtlRockets/BTL.html
ReplyDeleteThanks Mallory, I'm going to research on what kind of fins are ideal for our rocket to go the farthest. Since we are going to be competing in the distance competition,our rocket will have to be able to go the distance. I am going to be extra careful in my research; only writing down the information on how to make rockets go the distance, not straight upward.
ReplyDeleteI also got a good idea for the material that will be used for the fins. I'm thinking that a hard plastic would be the best, because they are strong, yet very light. Do you have Any ideas for the body shape of the rocket?
Okay, perfect. I'll be focusing on the nose cone then? That way we can be all set for tomorrow. As far as the hard plastic goes...I love the idea and I think it will work well, but will we be able to cut it?
DeleteI got 2 types of bottles...I'll post pictures of them:) Thanks!
Okay, I checked out the website that you gave me. It's really good! I especially think that we should pay attention to the higher center of gravity that was mentioned at the bottom of the page. Got to have our rocket fly straight!
ReplyDeleteResearch Summary Day 1
ReplyDeleteDuring the rocket simulation I have concluded that a lot of pressure is needed to make the rocket go far. Also the main problem that I faced while designing the rocket was the length of the body (not payload). At fist it length was very small, and then I changed it so it was a little longer and my rocket flew through the air at an angle about 100 meters farther. This is obviously an important factor in the process of building and designing a rocket.